Dr. Ujjwal K Debnath
Dr Ujjwal K Debnath is a Trauma and Orthopaedic Consultant with training in assessment and surgical treatment of bone, joint and soft tissue conditions.
He is currently working as Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon at AMRI hospital, FORTIS Hospital, BELLEVUE, HEALTHPOINT and MICROLAP at Kolkata.
He has over 30 years of experience in Trauma, Orthopaedics and Spinal surgery. He has performed over 10000 surgeries successfully. He has worked and expanded his knowledge and skills in all aspects of Orthopaedics surgery from University hospitals of England, Wales & Ireland since 1995. He has worked as Spinal Fellow at Queens Medical Centre, Nottingham in 2007-08. During this period he was able to complete the thesis for the Doctorate on “Factors predicting the outcome following surgery in lumbar spondylolysis” for which he was awarded Doctorate in Medicine, DM (Orthopaedics) at University of Nottingham in Jul 2010.
He is the founder director of a philanthropic spinal surgery global outreach programme ‘Operation Straight Spine’ at Ramakrishna Mission Seva Pratisthan, since 2005 with combined efforts from by Dr Jeffrey McConnell, MD & surgical team from Allentown, USA and from Guys & St Thomas’ team at London, UK. Dr Debnath is a guide (as Associate Professor of Orthopaedics) to Post Graduate trainees in Trauma & Orthopaedics for MS (Orth) and DNB (Orth).
Dr Debnath has performed approximately 10,000 Orthopaedic and Trauma surgery successfully in the last 30 years. He has performed more than 3000 fracture surgery, 600 joint replacement, 700 arthroscopic surgeries & more than 1000 spinal operations.
- ‘Bharat Nirman Award’ and ‘Gold Medal for excellence’ in ‘National Unity and Industrial Growth’ awarded by Hon Minister Shiv Raj Patil (Citizens Integration Peace Society), at India Habitat Centre, New Delhi, 24thJul 2016.
- Scoliosis Research Society – Globus Medical Educational Meeting Scholarship Winner 50th Annual Meeting & Course in Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA for Oct 2015.
- Awarded Certificate of recognition & endorsement by Scoliosis Research Society, USA forthe successful 10 years of “operation Straight Spine”, the first spinal deformity global outreach programme in India at the SRS 49thannual meeting at Anchorage, Alaska, USA.
- Felicitation by Rotary International, South Kolkata on 17thFeb 2012 for “Operation Straight Spine”, first global outreach spinal surgery project in India serving the underprivileged children with spinal deformity.
- Award for Oral presentation@ SICOT’ XXIII Triennial world Congress, Sept 2005 in Istanbul, Turkey for ‘Single stage reconstruction of exstrophyepispadias complex’.
- ‘Best Paper’ for ‘Clinical outcome and return to sports following surgical treatment of lumbar spondylolysis in young athletes’ British Association of Spine Surgery (BASS) meeting @ Stoke on Trent – Feb 02.
- Design & Development of a Hip System for Indian Patients’, Presented @ West Bengal State Orthopaedic Conference, Burdwan,’94.
Management & Leadership (Academic & Scientific meetings)
- On 22nd and 23rd Jul 2017, Dr Debnath organized a CME (Orthopaedics) for Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery (MISS) and Minimally Invasive techniques for Periarticluar fractures (MIPO) accredited 11CME hours by Haryana Medical Council. Many eminent Orthopaedic and Spine Surgeons from India and abroad took active part in the CME and the cadaveric workshops (in anatomy lab). The attendance on both days was approximately 150 doctors. The scientific program was followed by a cadaver workshop on “Peri-articular fracture fixation”. Overall, the CME and cadaver workshop was a successful campaign and it was first of its kind organized in this region of Haryana.
- In Feb 2015, he organized the Annual meeting of West Bengal Sports Medicine at Kolkata, (Theme – one foot forward – sports injury in foot & ankle).
- In Feb 2014, heorganized a symposium on “Spondylolisthesis“ at Fortis hospital, Kolkata with Dr J R McConnell, MD, Consultant Spine Surgeon from USA as chief faculty.
- In May 2011, He has organized the 1st Eastern India Foot & Ankle society meeting with Dr Samuel Barouk(Consultant Foot Surgeon) as chief faculty from France at Fortis Hospital, Kolkata.
- When in UK, he was actively involved in Indian Orthopaedic Association between 2002 -2007 as overseas organizer for Lectures from UK faculty in the annual meetings in India.
- Founder director of a philanthropic spinal surgery global outreach program ‘Operation Straight Spine’ for spinal problems for poor and needy children in Eastern India at Ramakrishna Mission Seva Pratisthan, since 2005 with combined efforts from surgical team in Allentown, USA and in London, UK. Founder of ‘SPIRIT –India”, an NGO to assist in the treatment and care of the children in the developing nations who suffer from injuries and disorders of the musculoskeletal system such as spinal or limb / Foot &Ankle deformities, cerebral palsy and other neuromuscular disorders). We have successfully operated 150 under privileged children (55 scoliosis) and adults with spinal problems (deformity, TB, spondylolisthesis) in the last 14years.
- Felicitated by Rotary Club of South Kolkata on 12thFeb 2012 for dedicated Spinal surgery for the underprivileged in Kolkata under ‘Operation Straight Spine’.
- Presented as faculty ‘Deformity Mission Kolkata’ in GOP symposium at Scoliosis Research Society (SRS), 49th annual meeting at Anchorage, Alaska, USA in Sep 2014.
- Dr Debnath was awarded Globus Medical Scholarship by SRS to attend the 50thAnnual meeting in Minneapolis, USA in Oct 2015.
- Organised ‘Hip & Knee walk’ at Newport, UK for Wishbone Trust for Orthopaedic Research funding in UK in Jun 1999.